Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Get in the groove



  Finally it was a couple of days of what I had been looking for. The night air still had a chill but, the days were great for hiking. When the sun would dip behind a cloud and the breeze would kick up you had to make the decision of stopping for a light jacket, or pushing on until the sun would give you some rays.

  With my schedule of late rising and early stops I had managed to get behind the early crowd of hikers. I was able to get a couple of days of that wilderness experience I wanted. I was able to stop and camp away from the shelters, where the forest was my own. I was able to enjoy the sounds at night, and the wake up call of the early morning birds. I had managed to somewhat get my trail legs and was ready for whatever the trail would bring.

  It was so nice to look at the upcoming hills and not worry if I would make it to the top. I knew I would make it, even if I did take longer than some of the “professional” hikers. I did notice however that the forest was a little quieter than I had imagined. It was still early in the year and the sounds of crickets and tree frogs were absent. It left the night sounding still. Every little creature stirring in the leaves sounded large when trying to sleep. My first night camping alone, I was excited and a little scared. If something were to happen I would have no way to take care of it. It was just a personal fear I had to overcome though. I made it safely through that first night, and had a great outdoor experience all the way to Hiawassee.





Natural Spring with great tasting water.
Living for something more than the almighty dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment