Friday, April 12, 2013

Fear and emotion



  You would not believe the many thoughts racing through my mind. Would I make it? Will the house be okay? Will the renter take care of the house? What if I get injured? Etc. Etc. I was nervous and a bit scared. I was looking into the unknown, an unknown that had way too many variables.
  Money was the scariest of all. Most people will spend about $3500 - $5000, on a thru hike. I was leaving with right at $900. Would I make it all the way, or would I be one of the statistics, of people who leave the trail when they run out of money? I was looking forward to the time rent would be due again. That would be 3 months away though.
The beginning of the Appalachian Trail
  I had packed for 7 days. That is to say I had brought enough food to make it for 7 days. The water was working correctly, I had spent time with my friends and it was March 5. I was a nervous wreck. Sleep was hard to come by, as I mulled over all the things that could go wrong. I had to leave as soon as I could. I was afraid if I didn’t get out of the house I never would. So many things could keep me from even leaving.
  My plan had been to leave on Mar 7. Tomorrow… a whole day to go and I was way too wound up for that. Every nerve in my body was vibrant with the mix of fear and anticipation. I had to go and I had to go now!
  I made some last minute pack adjustments, left some contact information with my ex, and practically begged her to take me to the trail a day early. She was more than willing to oblige. We waited for a bit until her sister and ourselves were all ready to take a quick day hike. They were going to go up to the first White Blaze with me.
  Having grown up in the area, I had walked up the many steps and 8 miles of trail that comprise the approach trail. I had no intention of making that hike again. My friends were in no shape for it either, and I decided to take  a small forest road around to just a bit north of the first blaze on the A.T. Nearly a mile from the parking lot back south to the top of Springer Mountain, and the first of many little white marks that would lead me on my journey of a life time.

No comments:

Post a Comment