Thursday, April 18, 2013

I got the fever





 If you are planning a future hike of the Appalachian trail I have one strong piece of advice. NO matter what it takes, how long you are there, or what the weather may bring, get out of Georgia before you quit.

  I didn’t realize until well into my hike how much elevation change there was in Ga. I was so aggravated that I would spend one or two hours climbing a hill, then with nothing much to look at go right back down. Even with no foliage around the views were not much to look at. Standing on the bottom of a hill looking up a couple of thousand feet is hard. Climbing up the hill and your heart feels like it is going to jump out of your chest is scary. When the muscles in your leg feel like they are tearing into pieces, your lungs feel like sandpaper, and there isn’t anyone around to hear you complain, it can be a total mental breakdown. Stop, take a break. 

  Too many people, in my opinion, get what I call “Mileage Fever”. They have their trip planned out for every day and they have planned to do more than their body will accept at the beginning. When they don’t make that 17-20 miles they planned on day 2, they start calculating how many extra miles they will need tomorrow. They go through their entire plan to make sure they will get to Katahdin when they planned it. You can hear them all the way along the trail from beginning to end, worried about how many miles they will have to cover today, tomorrow, this week, next month. They get so worked up over the mileage they start believing they will never make it. Many of them, unfortunately, will believe what their mind has got so worked up about and quit the trail. It will start out optimistically. “Only 13 miles a day to make it on time”, quickly it becomes fearful, “I can’t manage to get 18 miles every day”. I made it on an average of 9.62 miles a day.

 Wow first time I actually did the math on that…. Haha , I was SLOW!


Foods that help in the battle against cancer: here

Living for something more than the almighty dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment