Friday, April 19, 2013

What's in a name?



 
I was of to a great start! Day three in the woods and I still have enough provisions to make it past the first town. At least I thought I did.


  One of two things I did not pack was something to carry extra water with. I knew that in the south there were plenty of streams and springs, so I thought a cup would be enough for me make it to the first store on the trail. I was luck that someone had left a liter neoprene bottle at the shelter. A quick rinse and a god-awful long time with my tiny water pump to fill it, and I was off on my adventure for the day. If only I could remember to pick up that water bottle.

  I was nearly ½ mile away from the shelter when I noticed it. I had left both the neoprene and my cup back on the shelter table. For the first of many times I had to turn around and get them. If I had remembered either one of them I would have carried on, but without either of them I was fated to go back. I was hoping that at the next shelter I would be able to return the bottle to its rightful owner, and if they were beyond that then I would claim the bottle until someone mentioned it. Without much adieu, I dropped my pack and used a brisk pace to get what I left behind. I thought this would be a good lesson, and I would remember to make a “dummy check”, before I left camp from here on out.

  A few hikers passed me with a questioning look on their face. When I returned to my pack there were a couple of guys just passing curiously by. I gave them a quick run-down on the circumstances and they enjoyed a mild bit of laughter at my mistake. I donned the pack and we hiked together for the rest of the afternoon. This time, I made it a whole 10 steps before I realized that I had left the water bottle sitting on the ground. 

  Lunchtime came around, we stopped and prepared our trail food and took a few pictures of the natural beauty around us. A quick trip behind a tree to take care of business, and I found the second thing I was not prepared for. It was day three and I did not realize that I could use that much toilet paper. Luckily there was a little town not far off the trail coming up. I had plenty of food, all the cold gear and supplies I needed except that one critical thing. As I am terribly allergic to poison ivy, the gathering of leaves for that purpose was just out of the question. I resigned myself to the 2 ½ mile hike into town when I hit the upcoming road. We packed our gear back up and off we went. 50 yards and I went back for the water. More lighthearted laughter filled the air as I turned around.

 As time goes by, you turn inside and the conversation will drop. You find yourself staring at the ground before your feet, and before you know it a mountain has come and gone. There are some hikers that will never see the beauty of the trail, as they are determined to get their miles in and barely even look up at the forest around them, so it was for me that day. The road appeared below my feet and without even looking up I turned to walk the couple of miles to the closest convenience store.

  You hear that it is easy to hitch a ride in the south you couldn’t prove it by me though. About an hour of hiking on the road and the store was in sight before someone stopped to offer me a ride. I made a quick trip in and out of the store, stopped and enjoyed a snickers and a soda, and then hiked right back up the hill with no offer of a ride. Yay, I had my toilet paper, I was ready to go. I looked up ahead to make sure I was on the right trail, and there was a huge Forest Service privy right there on the trail. I stopped to get rid of the soda and a quick peek in the men’s room revealed 6 industrial sized rolls of toilet paper. Tired of walking already I stopped for a break and to vent my frustration of the side trip.

  It wasn’t long before I ran into my two companions as they had stopped for an afternoon break. I stopped to briefly tell them of my adventure and we ended up in conversations of the world. One man was an ex-police officer who was planning a thru hike for 2013. He had taken a vacation and was out to hike for a few days to make sure his pack was prepared. As I approached he noticed right away that I had yet again left my water bottle on the picnic table down by the road. They agreed to watch my pack, another quick run and I returned. Everybody grabbed their pack and after a good-hearted reminder to pick up my bottle we were off. The ex-cop turned to me as we began to set off and said, “We are gonna call you DoubleBack”.  I looked at him and said “Well, since you can’t make it to Kathadin this year, I will take your name up there”. 

DoubleBack was a trail name that I would learn to live up to in the coming months.



 Breast Cancer early detection, Why and When.......HERE

Living for something more than the almighty dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment