Friday, May 3, 2013

Communication Breakdown




  As I topped the last hill before Hiawassee, I had a passing thought of confirming the plans I had made with my best friend. We talked the day before and made arrangements to meet at the trail crossing just outside of Hiawassee. I had dropped my pack long enough to take a quick break up where there was a bit of a view.

 You would be amazed at how quickly news will travel in both directions on the trail. If something noteworthy happens you will hear about it faster than you would imagine. This particular day I was beginning to dig through my bag when some hikers came from south of me and gave me a warning about a sex predator that was supposed to be at the road crossing. He was driving a red truck, offering shuttle service for sex. The other hikers and I talked for a few minutes about this, made our jokes and then prepared to go down the hill. In light of the conversation, and my amazement how much detail the grapevine was able to produce, I completely forgot to make the call.

  It was nearing noon when the group of us made it to the road. Nine miles into town with a large incline to start that trip with. I was to be picked up at 2 or so I thought, and I whipped out the phone to let my friends know I had made it. I waited a few seconds, I moved to a new spot and tried again, I walked up the hill a bit and I could not for the life of me find a signal. The other hikers had already started the hitching ritual, and I quickly asked one of the ladies if she would be kind enough to call my friend when she got to town. I couldn’t go into town as I was expecting my ride. In the gaps between mountains is a terrible place to try and get a signal, so make sure you make your calls at the top of the hill before going to town.

  I didn’t have to wait alone. Bahala Na, another thru-hiker, had trouble with his feet and was taking a few days off the trail in an effort to heal. This is an important point to make; you can stay in one place when necessary. Take time to heal and don’t force yourself on thinking you will adapt. Listen to your body and take precautions when needed. Personally I thought he would be going home, as he could barely hobble out to say hello and smoke a bowl with me while I waited. Another group of slow moving hikers were there also and preparing to leave. One man put on his overly large pack which had a mannequin head with a wild red curly wig and crazy make-up on top of his pack. It was interesting and I made a personal note to find out what that story was someday. The afternoon ticked slowly by, and my 2 o’clock departure was late, as my friends were waiting for me to call and let them know I had made it.

 
It was great to see my friends again. Melanie had come up from the Atlanta area to take me back home for the holiday weekend. Before heading south we made a quick bounce over to North Carolina, to a little BBQ place that was amazing! I really didn’t think that I had enough time on the trail to have worked up a “Hiker’s Appetite”, but I managed to finish a feast while I was there.
 


Living for something more than the almighty dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment